MEET OUR NEW INTERNS: CHARLIE & STEPH

By Charlie Carucci & Stephanie Doan, Sr. Admissions Interns

Hello! Our names are Charlie Carucci and Stephanie Doan and we are the new members of the Senior Admissions Intern team! We are so excited to now be working with Bessie, Bianca, Lamonte, and Michelle as we enter our final semester at Champlain. Being part of the intern team means that we can continue to develop our professional skills while playing an important role in the college application process for prospective students.

Over the course of the semester, we’ll be helping the Admissions Counselors by communicating with applicants, getting students interested in Champlain’s academic programs, and helping run some of the awesome Admissions events coming up like our Winter Open House and both of our Admitted Student Days in April. This year’s intern team has done an incredible job assisting our Admissions Counselors and getting prospective students excited about a potential future at our school. Now, we get to be a part of that as well.

Considering you’ll likely be seeing our faces a lot more around campus, we wanted to introduce ourselves.

Charlie Carucci, Game Design Major with a Sonic Arts Specialization

Hometown: Stamford, CT

Favorite Place in Burlington: Farmers’ Market in Burlington’s City Hall park

Fun Fact: I can touch my nose with my tongue! Actually, everyone in my family can, except for my mom. She’s pretty jealous about that.

Campus Involvements: For two years I served in Champlain’s Student Government Association as one of the Senators representing students in the Division of Communication & Creative Media. I was also a Student Ambassador for about two years which was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. Being an SA gave me the opportunity to encourage prospective students to follow their passions, no matter where their college career may take them. I recently transitioned from that role to the Admissions Intern team. I’m hoping to develop new leadership and public speaking skills in this position, while continuing to guide high school students through the college application process in any way that I can.

Favorite Champlain College memory?

During my junior year, I had to opportunity to attend and participate in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) GameFest in Troy, NY, with my Production 2 game development team. (GameFest is an annual event highlighting digital games, with a student showcase and game competition, plus music and presentations from experienced game designers, critics, scholars and indie developers.) My team, along with several other teams from Champlain, went for the weekend and presented our games to students from several other schools, members of the community, and a panel of industry professional judges. Showing our game in a public setting was an experience that was very new to me, but it was so exhilarating. Watching people of all ages play and enjoy our game meant the world to me. I’ll never forget that weekend.

Favorite college class and why?

So far, I think my favorite class has been Game Tech 2, which I took during the first semester of my junior year. The class introduced aspiring game designers to scripting techniques and helped them become more familiar with Unity, a popular game engine. I had the fortune of taking the class with a group of friends, which made the experience really exciting. All semester long, we inspired each other to prototype unique and engaging designs. After we finished our final projects, I invited everyone over to my apartment so we could play all of the games we made over the semester. We had so much fun with everyone’s prototypes—I truly believe, in that moment, we all grew as designers. Now, each of us are Lead Designers on our senior production teams, and I couldn’t be more proud.

Why Champlain?

I chose Champlain because I knew I wanted to get into my major right away. Knowing that I would be making games starting in my very first semester, plus getting to explore Burlington, VT, was too good of an opportunity to pass up. The first time I visited Champlain, I knew it was the school for me.

______________________________________________________________________

Stephanie Doan, Psychology Major with a Business Administration Minor

Hometown: Dorchester, MA

Favorite Place in Burlington: Battery Park

Fun fact: I learned how to speak English through an immersive learning experience! My mother enrolled me in school without enrolling me in any English Language Learning programs first. I became fluent in English within the first month.

Campus Involvements: There’s a lot I do on campus, but one of the things I am involved with currently is our Department of Residential Life, in which I work as a Consulting Intern. I assist with web content development as well as collect and analyze data regarding some of the programs and trainings Residential Life provides for our students and professional staff. Another way I have been involved on campus is with our Office of Admissions: first as a volunteer, then as a Student Ambassador giving tours, and now as a Senior Admissions Intern.

I was a Resident Assistant for two years, which took a lot of work, but it was some of the most fun I’ve ever had. I also mentor younger students both through our Champlain Achievement, Retention, and Excellence (C.A.R.E.) program as well as through our summer Imagine College program. Imagine College is designed to help provide greater college access for underserved populations, encourage them finish school, and help prepare them for a life of career and personal success.

Favorite Champlain College memory? During my first year, my roommate got together a bunch of our friends in the residence hall to throw a surprise party for my birthday. They decorated our room with streamers and crafts, then took me out to dinner, and I got to wear a birthday sash. Later, we watched some of my favorite movies and played Lip Sync Battles in the hall.

Favorite college class and why? My favorite college class was my Nonprofit and Social Marketing class that I took while I was studying abroad at Champlain’s Dublin, Ireland, campus. The professor, Serena Mizzoni, was very engaging and took us to different organizations and spaces around Dublin to help us learn about the nonprofit sector as well as social entrepreneurship in Ireland. 

Why Champlain? I chose Champlain because I love the people in Burlington—the people here are really friendly and kind. When I first visited, I could actually see myself here at Champlain as a part of this community, and now, here I am!

Had a chance to visit Champlain yet? Come take a tour and see for yourself how welcoming our community and the City of Burlington is in person.