As summer approaches—and with it, food-truck hot spots increasingly popping up around town—it only seems right to give you the lowdown on where to eat when you’re visiting (and living in) Burlington. Not only is this city known for being one of the Best College Towns in America, it’s also known for its vibrant and active food scene.
From gourmet and farm-to-table restaurants to late night sandwich shops, ramen bars, breakfast spots and taco trucks, Burlington has something for every type of food connoisseur. (Oh, and of course, don’t forget Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop—Burlington is where it all started!) These are a few of our favs—save this list for all of your future food adventures. (You can thank us later!)
Bites To Fit Your College Student Budget
- Kountry Kart Deli (KKD’s): This hoppin’ sandwich shop is open 20 hours a day! They serve everything from breakfast sandwiches to burgers, salads and sides too.
- Mr. Mike’s Pizza: Pizza Hack–If you call or order online for delivery, you get free garlic knots with your order; all you have to do is ask!
- Gaku Ramen: Whether you’re craving a large bowl of ramen or fried rice, Gaku has something for all Asian cuisine fanatics.
- Vermont Pub & Brewery (VPB): You can’t go wrong with a night at VPB; after all, they’ve got the American classics: burgers, wings, sandwiches and more!
- Ben & Jerry’s: Visit the local scoop shop right on Church Street and grab a cone, a cup or a Vermonster. If you’re feeling adventurous, take a trip to the Ben & Jerry’s Factory for a fun tour, free samples and the Flavor Graveyard!
Breakfast: The Most Important Meal of the Day
- Penny Cluse Cafe: Champlain Admissions Counselor Alana Perry says, “When I think breakfast in Burlington, I think Penny Cluse Cafe!” It’s truly an institution.
- Mirabelles Cafe and Bakery: A must-try when you stop in Burlington; their chocolate croissants and pastries are to die for!
- Monarch & the Milkweed: Not only can you get the best donut bites at this cozy cafe, but you’ll fall in love with the white marble tables adorned with a vase of colorful flowers. Trust me, you’ll want to Instagram your trip here!
- Henry’s Diner: You best come hungry to Henry’s Diner because the pancakes are as big as a dinner plate. Order the Hungry Henry Breakfast and see for yourself…
- The Skinny Pancake: Sweet and Savory is the name of the game at The Skinny Pancake. Pizza crepes, Apple and Brie crepes and more. This place caters to all—they even have Vegan and Gluten Free crepes!
When You Want to Treat Yo’Self
- Leunig’s Bistro & Cafe: We can’t all travel to France, but Leunigs will give you a true French dining experience, with everything from duck to filet mignon, ending with excellent, delectable desserts.
- Pizzeria Verita: Not a fan of brussel sprouts? Pizzeria Verita’s Brussel Sprout pizza will change your mind in the blink of an eye.
- A Single Pebble: Every table has its own lazy Susan, which makes sharing their delicious gourmet Asian food with family members or a group of friends easy and fun.
- Pascolo Ristorante: You can’t get pasta any fresher than this. Enjoy an array of Italian favorites on the patio right on Church Street.
- The Scuffer: Steak frites, burgers, and truffle fries, oh my!
On the Go!
- Hong’s Chinese Dumplings
- Taco Gordo
- South End Sliders
- A-Maize-ing Kettle Korn
- Dolce VT Food Truck
- Pingala Broccoli Bar
- Ahli Baba Kabob Shop
Let’s face it, if you weren’t a foodie before coming to Burlington, Vermont, it’s highly likely you’ll be leaving as one. Write to us about your favorite place to eat, or check out more recommendations here.
Post written by Caitlin Ludke & Sarah Steward, Alumni and former Senior Admissions Interns