Thinking of Applying Early Decision?

Champlain College’s Early Decision II deadline is fast approaching–applications are due January 15th!

Paige (Management of Creative Media) has some tips for students interested in applying Early Decision.

Paige SchmittleinThree years ago I submitted my Early Decision application to Champlain College, although it was a little more complicated than I thought it would be!

I’m from Western Massachusetts, and about three years ago, we had a huge October snowstorm that left us without power for a week. The first night of this storm happened to be the same night that I brilliantly decided that it was time to submit my application Early Decision.

I think you can guess what happened next.

I announced to my parents in the next room, “I’m going to click send!” and at that exact moment, all the power in my house went out.

Luckily, it flickered back on only minutes later and I was able to send it before it then went out for a week.

So maybe submitting your application on the night of a huge snowstorm isn’t the best idea, but since the deadline is November 15th (and there is no snowstorm in sight), here is some advice for submitting your Early Decision application.

1. Don’t panic! This, I think, is the most important advice for almost any situation. Applying for college can be scary, especially when in the Early Decision process you hear things like “binding.” But when you visit your perfect school, you’ll know it and it’s so true. If the campus feels like it can be your home for the next four years, you need to trust your gut and likely everything else will fall into place.
  2. Take advantage of the opportunity to interview with someone in Admissions. Most schools will offer this over Skype if you aren’t able to make it to the campus. My admissions counselor visited my high school and I was able to interview with him then. This allows Admissions to not only get a feel for how you are as a person, but you are able to get questions answered that may ease your anxiety and solidify your choice to attend this school.
  3. Don’t leave it to the last second. Allow yourself enough time to let other people read over your essay, check and make sure everything is accurate on your application, and perhaps allow for any surprise snowstorms that will knock out your power. After all, one huge reason to apply Early Decision is to be done with the college application process early so that at Christmas time you can share the good news with your family. And in the spring, you do not have to be the one in your group of friends rushing to send in all of your applications. You can relax and enjoy the rest of your senior year.

So, if you decide to apply Early Decision, good luck! If you really feel passionately about a school, which I hope you all do, it’s so worth it to finish your part of the application process.

Just make sure there aren’t any snowstorms on the radar before you hit send.

For more information on application deadlines, contact admission@champlain.edu.